More than 100 homes destroyed in Australia wildfire


More than 100 homes destroyed in Australia wildfire

SYDNEY – More than 100 houses were destroyed by a Christmas Day wildfire that tore through a stretch of coastline popular with tourists in southern Australia, forcing thousands to flee their homes, officials said Saturday.

Cooler weather and light rain on Saturday eased the immediate threat from the blaze along Victoria state’s scenic Great Ocean Road, but officials warned that it could continue burning for weeks.

No one was killed or injured in the fire, said Victoria Emergency Management Commissioner Craig Lapsley.

“You’ve got to stand proud to say that people are with us — that is, they’ve walked away from the fire that had every potential to be a killer,” Lapsley said.

Hundreds of firefighters spent Christmas battling the blaze, which was triggered by a lightning strike. The fire destroyed 116 houses in the small towns of Wye River and Separation Creek, Lapsley said. Many of the properties destroyed were holiday homes.

The fire has temporarily closed a section of the Great Ocean Road, which winds along Victoria’s coastline and past the region’s famed “Apostles” — a collection of giant limestone stacks that jut dramatically out of the sea.

Destructive wildfires are common across much of Australia during the southern hemisphere summer. In 2009, wildfires killed 173 people and destroyed more than 2,000 homes in Victoria.

Share This News:

Comments (
0
)

Most Popular


Pittsburgh shooting: Multiple casualties at Squirrel Hill synagogue

Pittsburgh shooting: Multiple casualties at Squirrel Hill synagogue

BBC News Eleven people have been killed, officials say, in a gun attack on a synagogue ...

Posted: About 8 years ago
Migrant caravan: Girl dies in custody after crossing Mexico-US border

Migrant caravan: Girl dies in custody after crossing Mexico-US border

The Guatemalan girl, who arrived in the US last week as part of a group of migrants, died ...

Posted: About 8 years ago
Source: BBC News
US mail bombs: Cesar Sayoc charged after campaign against Trump critics

US mail bombs: Cesar Sayoc charged after campaign against Trump critic...

BBC News A 56-year-old man has been arrested in Florida in connection with a mail-bombing...

Posted: About 8 years ago

SIMILAR NEWS

Belgium’s ex-King Albert II submits DNA in paternity case
Posted: About an hour ago

Belgium’s ex-King Albert II submits DNA in paternity case

BBC News : Former Belgian King Albert II has submitted a DNA sample to avoid fines of €5,000 (£4,370...

Source: BBC News
Scottish trials to stop sea eagles stealing lambs
Posted: About an hour ago

Scottish trials to stop sea eagles stealing lambs

BBC News : Potential methods to deter Scotland's growing sea eagle population from stealing lambs are be...

Photographer ‘overwhelmed’ by response to bald eagle picture
Posted: About an hour ago

Photographer ‘overwhelmed’ by response to bald eagle picture

BBC News : A Canadian amateur photographer says he is "overwhelmed" by the worldwide response to a photo...

Tory leadership contest: Michael Gove pledge on EU citizenship applications
Posted: About an hour ago

Tory leadership contest: Michael Gove pledge on EU citizenship applications

BBC News : Michael Gove will allow EU nationals living in the UK at the time of the referendum to apply...