Trump defends use of tear gas on migrant families at US border as he blames parents of children affected


Trump defends use of tear gas on migrant families at US border as he blames parents of children affected

US President Donald Trump has strongly defending the US use of tear gas at the Mexican border to repel a crowd of migrants and blamed the parents of the children who were caught up in the melee.

Critics denounced the border agents’ action as overkill, but Mr Trump kept to a hard line.

“They were being rushed by some very tough people and they used tear gas,” Mr Trump said.

“Here’s the bottom line: Nobody is coming into our country unless they come in legally.”

Mr Trump rails against migrant caravans as dangerous groups of mostly single men.

That view featured heavily in his speeches during the midterm election campaign when several were hundreds of miles away, travelling on foot.

Officials have said some 500 members are criminals but have not backed that up with details on why they think so.

On Monday, Mr Trump tweeted that the caravan at the border included “stone cold criminals”.

Mario Figueroa, Tijuana’s social services department director who is overseeing operations at the sports complex where most of the migrants in the caravan are staying, said as of Friday that of the 4,938 staying there, 933 were women, 889 were children and 3,105 were men, which includes fathers travelling with families along with single men.

Press Association

Share This News:

Comments (
0
)

Most Popular


Pittsburgh shooting: Multiple casualties at Squirrel Hill synagogue

Pittsburgh shooting: Multiple casualties at Squirrel Hill synagogue

BBC News Eleven people have been killed, officials say, in a gun attack on a synagogue ...

Posted: About 8 years ago
Migrant caravan: Girl dies in custody after crossing Mexico-US border

Migrant caravan: Girl dies in custody after crossing Mexico-US border

The Guatemalan girl, who arrived in the US last week as part of a group of migrants, died ...

Posted: About 8 years ago
Source: BBC News
US mail bombs: Cesar Sayoc charged after campaign against Trump critics

US mail bombs: Cesar Sayoc charged after campaign against Trump critic...

BBC News A 56-year-old man has been arrested in Florida in connection with a mail-bombing...

Posted: About 8 years ago

SIMILAR NEWS

Posted: About an hour ago

Sooper Dooper Kids Clothing Partners with Sheikha Arwa Al Qassimi to Launch a Kindness Movement Empowering Children

Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], June 17: Sooper Dooper Kids, a purpose-driven online ecommerce children's clo...

Posted: About an hour ago

Clothing brand Sooper Dooper Kids teams up with Dharavi Dream Project

With its One Purchased is One Donated pledge, impact-focused apparel brand Sooper Dooper Kids was a part of...

Posted: About an hour ago

Sooper Dooper Kids: Fashion With A Heart

Sooper Dooper Kids is redefining children’s fashion by integrating style with social impact. Their “One...

Posted: About an hour ago

Celebrating Iconic Brands/Leaders Of The Year 2024

We are Celebrating Iconic Brands/Leaders honors individuals and brands that have not only excelled in their...